I kind of got stuck in Granada. Highlights of Granada were enjoying the comforts of not sleeping in a ditch and not cycling, epic breakfasts, tapas included with every drink you order, Beerpong, and not waking up at 6.45. Basically it was the best week ever!!!!!
I dont know how I spent so long in Granada but I finally left on Friday morning. Then my trailer tire burst. Then I had to make a 30 kilometre detour around the motorway up some huge mountains. Although this really frustrated me at the time, the climb became really nice near the end, as i got into a nice rhythm and the top of the mountain was a nice suprise. I found an old castle with commanding views of the valleys and mountains and best of all, my first glimpse of the meditteranean sea. It was a tough day but ended well. The next morning I began a 15km descent to the meditteranean as the sun rose. The road hugged the coast, with cliff roads and tunnels as the road wound around the seaside mountains. The hilly terrain really became a challenge for me in the next few days. The only route available was over the mountains. I am becoming an expert at hauling my bike and heavy trailer up those neverending hills. As the spanish police are very strict with bikes on motorways, ive had to make ridiculous detours around them, usually over a mountain range. This week has been very hard. I have also been feeling sick this week. I have been working harder than before and a new obstacle seems to always appear. The other day spent 3 hours trying to find a road that doesnt actually exist anymore. Then the worst happened. Within the space of about an hour, 7 spokes broke on my rear wheel. I had to keep going as they broke so I would have somewhere to sleep for the night. The next day I walked to the next town, to discover that no bike shop can fix it. After much challenges in the week I always had been proud that I had not given up and kept going. But when the bike was broken and I couldnt continue I discoverd that even if I had wanted to give up, I wouldnt have been able to. Its impossible to take a bus with a bicycle and hitchhiking simply doesnt work. I have tried. The only option i had left was walking. So i pressed on. Its been tough going for me but i keep getting suprises and everything eventually works out.
I managed to get the bike fixed and will soon be in valencia. I will update the photos there as its impossible on this computer.
Highlights: 15km descent through the mountains, sleeping in a castle, fresh mangoes and oranges for breakfast, cliffside roads, doing 170kms in one day, the scenery on the scenic route, overcoming obstacles

1 comment:
Yeah, how did you get stuck in Granada so long? I guess those bears were pretty friendly eh?
keep on truckin!
corina
Post a Comment