I finally got to put up some pictures from China. I spent almost a week in Beijing seeing only a fraction of the many sights the city has to offer, I was pretty impressed by the Forbidden city and of course the great wall; in the words of Mao:
"He who has not seen the great wall is not a man"
Then I headed to Nanjing, and onto Shanghai where I met the revolution cycle team. Next stop after a 16 hard seat train journey was Xi'an for the Terracotta warriors. With flooding in Chengdu and most transport to the southwest booked out, I took a flight with "Lucky Air" to the capital of Yunnan province Kunming and headed to the spectacular Tiger Leaping Gorge. The views were epic, I took 100 photos while hiking, we were lucky enough to see the eclipse while high up on the trail staying at a Bai minority village overlooking the gorge. The hike down to the raging Yangtse on precarious paths a great finish to a long day. After a brief stay in Zhondjian (named Shangrila for tourism purposes) at high altitude near Tibet, I headed back to Kunming to take the 30 hour bus to Laos. China was not at all as I expected, I think im gonna have to go back but who knows how it will change in the interval; its a country thats got to be seen to understand it!!!!
"He who has not seen the great wall is not a man"
Then I headed to Nanjing, and onto Shanghai where I met the revolution cycle team. Next stop after a 16 hard seat train journey was Xi'an for the Terracotta warriors. With flooding in Chengdu and most transport to the southwest booked out, I took a flight with "Lucky Air" to the capital of Yunnan province Kunming and headed to the spectacular Tiger Leaping Gorge. The views were epic, I took 100 photos while hiking, we were lucky enough to see the eclipse while high up on the trail staying at a Bai minority village overlooking the gorge. The hike down to the raging Yangtse on precarious paths a great finish to a long day. After a brief stay in Zhondjian (named Shangrila for tourism purposes) at high altitude near Tibet, I headed back to Kunming to take the 30 hour bus to Laos. China was not at all as I expected, I think im gonna have to go back but who knows how it will change in the interval; its a country thats got to be seen to understand it!!!!




View of the mountains at the top of the gorge once the clouds lifted - click the image for the proper size

Blogspot is blocked in China!!! this makes it impossible for me to update my blog. Also facebook was blocked a few days ago. I arrived in Shanghai yesterday from Nanjing. Before that I was in Beijing for a few days. I put up some photos at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sendittofinn/NewsAndPicsFromMyTravels?feat=directlink
Edit: Blog is back!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment